Sunday, January 23, 2011

God's Parenting Skills - How He Deals With Us

I was three years old as I stood in front of my house in the tiny town of Campo, Colorodo. Wide-eyed and ready to make a run for it, I had set my mind on one thing. My grandma’s house. She lived across the street and was ready and willing at any time for me to eat her candy. My little three year old mind knew this and was ready to take action for that to occur. Before the coming of this day, I would stand in front of my window and gaze across the street dreaming of being at my grandma’s house, a place where candy had no boundaries! This particular day I was ready to go beyond the gazing and make a run for it! Who knows if I had shoes or decent clothes on. I’m sure I didn’t and I didn’t care. I crossed the street and ran into my grandma’s house who was oh so happy to see I had come. A sweet hug and smile were exchanged, and then the candy came out. I was soon a very happy little girl! Not long after, I heard a voice yelling, “Marci, Marci!” It was a voice I knew oh so well. My daddy. He was coming to get me and take me home. I’m sure he explained to me the dangers of crossing the street and not having an adult. I just wanted some candy. I went back home with my daddy and listened to what he had to say. Then, without hesitation, when his back was turned, I made my way across the street again to be with my grandma and eat her candy! As you can see, this situation became a training opportunity for my parents. From what they tell me, it took awhile for the lesson to sink in to my little mind! The above story occurred over and over again, day after day! My parents should have just given me candy and it would have solved the problem! J Ha!

I just want to write a few thoughts on what our Father is like. How does He handle all of us? What does He do when He has a “kid” like me, who is so stubborn? What are His ways in changing and disciplining us? Oh how I love the way He deals with us! I love the heart of our Father for weak and broken human beings!! There is no doubt that He is intimately involved and committed in training us to become who we are meant to be. Life is full of lessons to be learned, and often it takes several situations for us to mature to the point of having the wisdom He wants us to have. Mistakes are both necessary and beneficial if we let them be.

There are so many different theories on parenting. Some parents believe in spanking, others believe effective communication will do the trick. There are so many different strategies out there. Our Father has His own way of changing, training, and “parenting” us. And it is perfect. He is the perfect parent! I can’t go on without including one of my favorite verses, “…He doesn’t treat us as our sins deserve, or repay us according to our sin.” (Psalms 103) It’s scary to think what we really deserve. Yet, God doesn’t give us what we deserve. He treats us much better than we deserve. There are so many things He overlooks and forgets concerning our lives. Because of Jesus, we can actually have peace with God (Romans 5:1). That means we can be friends with Him and our sin no longer stands in the way. He has made a way for weak and broken human beings to actually come close to God. This is incredible! I mean, this is INCREDIBLE! So, what I am saying is…God is just really super nice to us. Beyond what we even realize. He is WAY nice. I love that He is this way!

So, if He doesn’t treat us as we deserve, how does He change us? Do you know He has a goal for you in mind? Do you know He is so excited about who you will become? And do you know that what you will become is how He sees you TODAY? When my stubbornness stopped me from obeying my daddy, He knew that I wouldn’t always have that problem of crossing the street without being cautious! He knew I would grow up one day and be able to process in my mind that a car could be coming and I might want to look both ways before crossing. My dad knew I wouldn’t always have that problem of not obeying Him in that situation. God knows the struggles and weaknesses we have now won’t always have a hold of us. He probably says things like, “Yes, (your name) is not so good at that, but you just wait…wait until you see what she/he becomes. It will blow your mind!!” That’s why it’s so important we have hearts that are set on eternity. This world is so temporary. Everything about it will fade away in time. I can’t wait for what’s next, and God can’t either! He is so excited about YOU! His heart swells with pride when He thinks about you. Yes, life on this earth is cruddy at times, especially when we realize our worst enemy is often ourselves. We don’t have the power to change us. We simply can’t be good on our own. But, this life is an itty bitty tiny part of the big picture. What lies after this 70 or 80 years on the earth will be glorious beyond what we can even think or imagine. God dreams of that day too – because you will be all that you are meant to be. He sees you today, not as a messed up individual (though you may be), but as someone who will be very useful to Him in the age to come. He has plans for all of us, more than we can think or imagine! And you will love Him with all of your heart. The things that you struggle with now will be gone in just a little while longer. We won’t just be floating on clouds and singing lullabies. So, one way God changes us is through communicating truth to our hearts of who we are through His eyes. When we know His heart towards us, we are more likely to turn to Him in dark times. If we believe the lies about God, that He is distant, mad, and disappointed, we tend to not turn to Him and stay in our shame and despair. The fear of what He thinks or feels about us is enough for us to stay away. Oh Lord, break the lies in our hearts that we might know the incredible truth you have to say about us! He really, really likes us!

Finally, I want to mention Psalms 103:13-17.

“As a Father has compassion on His children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him…”

Ok, everyone smile really big now! Time to be happy and have hope!

No comments: