Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Sense of Destiny

Today I spent the day with my parents. We went to look at cars... it happens to be my dad's favorite thing to do. So we traveled to Seminole, OK just to look at vehicles. I have several childhood memories of sitting in the car in front of dealerships while my dad looked at vehicles. My thoughts were, "Not again..." Sitting in a car for a long time would have been difficult for any child. I never understood why he liked looking at them knowing the whole time he wasn't going to buy one. Afterward we looked at cars (or watched him look at cars), my mom thought she would show me the house my dad lived in as a child. I remember seeing it a long time ago, but I can barely remember. It was a very tiny house that's since been remodeled. Seeing the house brought up a long conversation about my dad's childhood years. He took me to his school he attended up til he was 7 and then moved to Arizona. He showed me the corner of the school where he remembered getting in a fight with some boys because he rode their bike at lunch without asking. He then drove me down main street and showed me the side walk he walked down when his mom gave him $5 to go and buy a B.B. gun when he was 5. As I listened, I couldn't help but feel a sense of destiny as I was looking at the city in which my dad lived in up until he was 7. I couldn't help but think how the Lord knew my dad when he was a child, how he knows him now, and how He knew that my dad would one day bring his youngest daughter here to show me part of his past. I don't know if this blog can fully describe what I was feeling or do it justice. Makes me think of how the Lord knows our days and lives fully -- that our days are written in His book from the beginning til the end. It also makes me realize that our lives are so much bigger than ourselves and our role in other people's lives is so important. That little boy that loved B.B. guns and got in fights a lot was destined to be my dad. He, just like the rest of us, carries all of the experiences of his life and they have shaped him to be who he is today. He, in turn, has been a large part of the Lord's purpose in my life and helped to put the foundation I needed in my life at a young age.

No comments: